Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Great ways to cure (or at least fight) Insomnia:

I just noticed a post by Dilbert author Scott Adams on his method for falling asleep. Very like some that have worked terrifically for me in combating insomnia. But one of the coolest things about his post is that readers have posted some of their best methods. Note that his method is specifically about how he gets to sleep quickly, but it works for insomnia too!

If you have trouble with insomnia, you owe it to yourself to experiment with some of these techniques. I've got some links below, but first, here's what works for me:

I imagine a movie, typically a comedy, and I either try to go through the movie from beginning to end (or starting at a favorite point), or I take favorite scenes and rework them for different goals. One of my favorites is Groundhog Day.

Also helpful if I wake up (for example, to go to the bathroom), is to immediately tell myself "I am already asleep, I am already dreaming." It helps me

So, here are links to my favorite comments with other get-to-sleep methods. You may have to refresh Adam's blog page after it loads to get the comment I've linked to to the top of the page. If you want to see which other comments I've linked to, just use your back and forward buttons to go back and forth between this list and the blog to click more links from below:

It all seems to be about getting your mind engaged in a way that encourages sleep mental activity, not wakeful mental activity. Here's my favorite methods from commenters at the blog: Method 1 · Method 2 · Method 3 · Method 4 · Method 5 ·Method 6·

Here's a tongue-in-cheek method that will leave you wondering why this doesn't this work for more people; a funny reason why you might reconsider wearing ear plugs when sleeping on a plane :); a scientific method similar to many of the posters; realize that most people can wake up without the alarm.

Otherwise, here are some closest to what I do:
Similar method #1 · Similar method #2 · Similar method #3 · Similar method #4.

Sweet Dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment